Forte Music School Policies
Welcome! Please read all policies before registering for lessons
These are a few things of note just to start:
- Forte Music School is a year-round Music School. We bill and schedule on a semester basis, with a set schedule during Fall and Spring semesters (based on the Beaverton School District calendar dates) and a flex schedule during the Summer term.
- We hold a minimum of two (2) recitals per semester, which students are encouraged, but not required to take part in. These recitals cost $10 per student per recital, which you can pay to the front desk or HERE at the time of entering the recital.
- We hold an Honors Recital at the end of the Spring semester which features students of the highest caliber. There will be an audition for the recital approximately two to three (2-3) weeks before the recital and a list will be posted on the website and at the school. There will be no fee for students to perform at the honors recital.
- Summer classes are offered on a teacher-availability basis. They may include Chamber Music Week, FUNdamentals Summer Session, Garage Band Camp, and more. If these classes are offered, they are at an additional fee to regular tuition. Students are able participate summer programs even if they are not "regularly scheduled" students during the year. Registration will be posted online and payment can be made through this website or at the school.
- Emails are our main way of communicating with families about school announcements. Please make sure we have a current email for you on file. There are events we coordinate for our students throughout the year as well as other communications about recitals, billing, community outreach and more. Please check your email often to stay informed about make-up lessons, scheduling changes, school closures, billing due dates, etc. We post information in the waiting area as well as this website. Fliers may also be sent home with students. If you have any questions or concerns, please stop by the Front Desk, give us a call or send an email. We want you to have a great experience at our school!
- All communication information can be found here.
- PRIVATE LESSONS (Age 5-Adult): Private lessons are based on an 18-week semester-long commitment level and are offered year-round on a weekly basis. You can enroll at any time during the semester on a pro-rated tuition.
- ADULT LESSONS (College and Beyond): Adult lessons are available a-la-cart. We encourage adults to purchase lessons by the month to secure a consistent spot in your teacher's schedule. If you are interested in committing to a full semester, you are able to purchase at the PRIVATE LESSONS tuition price.
- LESSON DURATION: We offer the following lessons: 30, 45, 60 minute based on the age, level, and needs of the student. Please contact the Front Desk for current lesson fees.
- SEMESTER BILLING: Tuition is billed as an 18-week semester.
- We accept full and half tuition payments. If you opt into the half tuition payment plan, the second payment is due after the first 9 weeks of the semester. A notice will be sent to those owing for half payment one (1) week prior to payment due date.
- We accept payment via credit card (Not American Express) with online payment (we will invoice you), over the phone or in-person. We also accept personal checks and cash.
- Music and Theory books are not included in tuition and will be billed separately. A new book is at the discretion of the teacher. You will see a book charge applied to your account after the student has received the book. You will also be notified by the teacher or the front desk that the student has received a new book. We ask that book invoices are paid as quickly as possible after receiving notice of the new book.
- For current tuition costs, please contact the Front Desk.
- Students are able to sign up at any time during the semester at a pro-rated amount. Contact the Front Desk for details.
- DISCOUNTS: We offer multi-student discounts. For every child in your family that you sign up for lessons, you get a bigger discount. Contact the Front Desk for details.
- FORTE FUNDAMENTALS CLASS: is a 16 week program that is broken up into two eight (8)-week sections.
- Tuition is billed in two parts (one for each 8-week section) and is due one (1) week before the program starts.
- We do not allow students to sign up mid-program. Please contact the front desk for current class times, start dates and tuition fees.
- Tuition includes a notebook/binder for each child, rental of the take-home instrument for the second 8-week section, and any other supplies used in class.
- SUMMER LESSONS: We offer summer lessons to all students a la cart with a discount for purchasing five (5) or more lessons at a time. Contact the front desk for current Summer Tuition prices. We do not provide multi-student discounts or any other discounts beyond the 5+ quantity discount for Summer Lessons.
- Holidays and planned breaks are not included in the 18-week tuition. You are not charged for these breaks. See our website for our Holiday and break schedule.
Scheduling and make-up policy
- PRIVATE LESSONS: When you enroll, you work with our scheduler and will be assigned a lesson time. You are to attend lessons at your assigned time every week.
- ADULT LESSONS: When you purchase lessons, you will work with our scheduler to find a time in the teacher's schedule that works for that particular lesson. Purchasing by the month is best to secure a time that works best for you on a consistent basis.
- 24-HOUR NOTICE: We ask that if you cannot make it to your lesson time that you let us know by 7pm the night before your lesson. Failure to do so will result in a forfeited lesson that cannot be made up.
- MAKEUPS: There are no refunds for missed lessons. Your lesson time is reserved exclusively for you. Forte Music school does not assume any responsibility for missed lessons for any reason. Maximum number of make-up opportunities allowed per student is four (4) total, per 18-week semester period. You will only be eligible for make-up opportunities if the lesson qualifies for make-ups (see below). Make-up opportunities are provided on the terms of the school's availability and convenience. Forte Music School provides make-ups strictly as a courtesy. If you schedule a make-up class and then miss that make-ups for any reason, without giving 24-hour notice, it still counts as your make-up lesson. Make-up lessons are a courtesy for registered/active students only and expire at the end of each Summer term of the current school year.
- LESSONS THAT QUALIFY FOR MAKE-UPS: The following instances qualify for a lesson to be made-up. No exceptions will be made.
- Teacher Cancel: When a teacher is sick or cannot make it into the office for any reason. We will notify you as soon as possible if this happens. If you are unable to make-up a teacher cancel by the end of the school year, we will apply a credit for the lesson to your account for the next Fall tuition.
- Emergency Student Cancel: We understand that life happens. We allow one emergency-cancel per student per term. An Emergency-cancel is considered such when you give us less than 24-hours notice. If you do not let us know of the absence until after the lesson, it will be considered a no-show and will not be able to be made-up.
- Cancel: Any time you need to cancel and give us 24-hour notice, you are able to makeup the lesson.
- Inclement Weather: Forte Music School reserves the right to cancel classes in case of inclement weather. These lessons can be made up at another time. If we are able, and multiple days of the week are cancelled, we may extend the semester to makeup for class. You will be notified if this happens.
- REFUNDS: No refunds will be made for missed lessons, including lessons that qualify for make-ups.
- SUMMER CAMPS: No make-up classes are offered for summer camp programs.
- FORTE FUNDAMENTALS: No make-up classes or refunds are guaranteed for missed classes for these programs. If the class is offered more than one day/time per week, you can give us advanced request to fit you into another class for a make-up. Your makeup class must be during the same week you missed the original class, as the lesson material is only taught once in each class and progresses each week.
- FUNdamentals: No required homework for the first 8-week section. Families are recommended to listen to recommended musical examples and to explore the home binders. The second 8-week section involves learning short songs on a small xylophone-style instrument. While practice is not required, it is encouraged to review the songs at home with the child before returning to class the next week.
- YOUNG CHILDREN AND BEGINNER STUDENTS: Younger pupils will gradually work into a routine, with the help of their parents and guardians at home. By the end of their first year of study, they should be practicing at least 15 minutes per day, 5 days a week. It is recommended to include practice time as part of your daily written schedule and find a time that is consistent day-to-day. Practicing should incorporate all assignments given by the teacher at their weekly lessons. If you, as the parent, have questions about what or how your student should be practicing, please ask the teacher. It is important to instill good habits from the beginning.
- INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED PRIVATE LESSONS: Depending the goals and level of the student, these students should be practicing 20-30 minutes minimum per day, 5 days a week. This amount of time is essential for progress. Some students may find they need more time per day as they advance through their repertoire.
We understand that playing a musical instrument is one activity of many, but in order to develop musical skills and obtain the most from a private or small group instruction experience, dedicated, regular practice at home is essential. Positive parentsal support and consistency at home makes a big difference in achieving this goal. If you have questions about what or how your student should be practicing, please ask your teacher. It is important to instill good practice habits from the beginning!
ALL PROGRAMS: If you wish to stop lessons, please request a Withdrawal Form from our Front Desk. Thirty-days written notice is required to discontinue any lessons/classes. Early withdrawal is not allowed during the last 30 days of each term. If you wish to discontinue at the end of a term, please notify our Front Desk. Please keep in mind that early withdrawal does not allow your child to complete their curriculum skills-tracking with their teacher, and affects performance events. Teachers and students are all working on wrapping up their skills through the end of the school year. This is also the time of year when we honor students for their hard work and dedication throughout their classes. If a student decides to withdraw, and then resume lessons again during the billing semester, a $30 re-instatement fee will be charged. Forte Music School reserves the right to terminate lessons for any student at any time for any reason, including but not limited to failure to abide by the School's etiquette policy. In such a case a refund for unused lessons will be given.
SUMMER TERM PROGRAMS: Stopping Lessons for ALL Summer Term Programs and Camps:
There is no written withdrawal required during summer session because lessons are billed and scheduled a la cart. There are no refunds for any missed or un-used purchased lessons during summer session. For our summer camps/workshops, a 75% refund will be provided for withdrawals given by written notice 7 days prior to the start date of the Summer Camp initially registered for by that family. For less than 7 days notice, no refund will be provided. All materials fees are non-refundable.
- PARENT AND ADULT STUDENT'S RESPONSIBILITY: It is the parent's responsibility to be aware of dates and events, closures and changes of schedule. We will communicate significant events via email, on our website, in-house fliers and occasionally send fliers home with students, but it is ultimately the responsibility of the parents or adult students to know about these events.
- It is parent's/adult student's responsibility to notify the school of any changes of address, telephone number or other contact information.
- No food or drinks, except water, allowed in music rooms.
- No children, whether Forte Music School students or otherwise, may be left unattended in the waiting area.
- Students and families shall refrain from disruptive behavior and/or lack common courtesy and respect for instructors, Front Desk administrators and fellow students; behavior that could be interpreted as sexual harassment; behavior that could be related to drug or alcohol use.
- Parents agree not to interfere with lessons.
- Parents shall remain courteous at all times and direct concerns to the owners and managers and not to teachers, other students or parents.
As the legal parent or guardian, I understand that my child's participation in music lessons or off site events with Forte Music School may expose him/her to unforeseen risk of personal injury, death or property damage. I hereby acknowledge that I am voluntarily allowing my child to participate in all lessons and events and agree to assume any such risks.
I hereby release, discharge and agree not to sue Forte Music School, its wonders, directors, agents, faculty or employees for any injury, death or damage to or loss of personal property arising out of or in connection with my child's participation in any lessons or events from whatever cause, including the active or passive negligence of Forte Music School owners, staff or any other participants of Forte Music school.
In consideration for being permitted to participate in the School, I hereby agree, for my child, my heirs, administrators, executors and assigns, that I shall indemnify and hold harmless Forte Music school from any and all claims, demands, actions or suits arising out of our in connection with my child's participation in any of the School's events.
I give Forte Music School permission to authorize emergency medical personnel to carry out such emergency diagnostic and therapeutic procedure as may be necessary for my child, and also permit such treatment procedures to be carried out at, and by local hospitals for my child int he event of an emergency. I understand that any medical expenses will be billed directly to me or my insurance company.
I agree to permit Forte Music school star, agents and other guests to take photographs and/or video and audio recordings during School lessons and performance events without further recourse. I understand that such photographic images, video, or audio recordings of my child may be used for commercial and/or promotional purposes. I further understand that I may opt-out of this release with respect to photographs, videos and audio only by filing out and signing a Media Opt-Out form available at the Front Desk of the School.
I affirm that I have read, understand and agree to be bound by the term and conditions of this contract for music instruction through Forte music school. I fully understand that failure to abide by this contact will result in termination of this agreement and membership in the school will be revoked immediate. I understand that I can also review these policies any time online at fortemusicschool.com.
I HAVE CAREFULLY READ THIS RELEASE, HOLD HARMLESS, AGREEMENT NOT TO SUE, AND MEDIA RELEASE, AND FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENTS. I AM AWARE THAT IT IS A FULL RELEASE OF ALL LIABILITY AND I SIGN IT FREELY.